One of the best things about Fear the Walking Dead filming in Central Texas is that they actually film in and around Austin. No sound stage sets for this crew (well, except for one; the inside of the SWAT vehicle). It’s all shot on location and dang, does it look cool.
We already profiled some of the filming locations used in the Austin area during season 4, the first season they shot the series in Texas.
To recap, here are those locations:
- Brackenridge Hospital – see pictures and learn more here.
- The Dell Diamond
- Southeast Austin at Shady Cedar Drive and Onion Creek Drive
- S. Pleasant Valley Road between Springville Lane and William Cannon
- Williamson County near Thrall and Taylor roads
- Lockhart bridge scenes
- Lytton Springs General Store, located in Dale, Texas
- Alicia and Victor looting stores on a street in downtown Bartlett, Texas
- Volente Beach on Lake Travis
- Cottletown Road in the Smithville/ Paige area
- Texan Motel
- Service King Collision Repair North Lamar
In season 5, the shooting locations just got bigger and better. And thanks to some friends, cast pictures and IG stories as well as the site The Spoiling Dead Fans, we’ve been able to keep up with many of the varied locales.
Here are some the sites we’ve seen in season 5, as well as some that haven’t even aired as of publication.
- Southeast Metropolitan Park
- A textile mill in New Braunfels
- Pearce Lane and 973 near ABIA
- Edward Community Center in Gonzales
- Promontory Point Apartments
- Pioneer Town in Wimberley
- White Wing Airport in Wimberley
- Big Barn Truck Stop in Wimberley
- Lakeline Mall – aka Bridgeview Mall
- Georgetown Quarry – Fisher Yearwood Pit
- Overlook Villa West Condos in Lago Vista
- Congregation Beth Israel Synagogue on Shoal Creek Blvd.
- J. Lorraine Ghost Town in Manor
- Abandoned gas station on 969 outside of Bastrop in Elgin/ Utley, near the New Republic Studios
In addition to all of these, we know the crew has shot more set ups in Bastrop, Fisher, Driftwood, Utley, Luling and Smithville.
We got the chance to chat with cast and crew about filming in the area at the ATX Television Festival. Here’s what Producers Ian Goldberg and Andrew Chambliss shared with us. Plus, there’s a little bite with Maggie Grace thrown in there as well.
We realize that we’re probably missing A LOT of locations. If you know of a Fear the Walking Dead filming locale we missed, shoot us a note via comment below, Facebook, Twiiter or Instagram DM. We’re more than happy to include your addition.
Want more filming locations?
Check out these posts: